Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Baked Oatmeal Cups

Turns out, I don't have any "(insert food) cups" recipes pinned, even though I think it's a brilliant concept, and I've made a few ideas I've seen on Pinterest.  And as you can see, there is a wide variety of (insert food) cups ideas and recipes on the site.  Macaroni & Cheese cups.  Bacon & Egg cups.  Lasagna cups.  Cadbury Creme Cookie Cups (droooool)!  The list goes on.



Single serving anything is so convenient, especially for a small family like mine.  And the presentation once these (insert food) cups is so charming, so of course I wanted to try this method of cooking. 

My mom has a recipe for Baked Oatmeal that is so delicous, and can be enjoyed either with warmed milk, or alone (kinda like a brownie).  She made me like 3 big batches right before I returned to work after maternity leave.  She was a smart woman - she knew that I wouldn't have the time or energy to prepare anything for myself, and this dish can easily be cut in to single servings and tossed in the freezer, so I could just grab a bar and go on my way to work.  Plus, oatmeal is good for nursing mamas, bonus!

After I had eaten my Mom-made stash of the good stuff, and my mom had since traveled back to Minnesota, it was up to me to feed myself breakfast.  The recipe is crazy easy, and while I was making it, it dawned on me that this baked oatmeal could reasonably be made in muffin tins as well!  Baked Oatmeal Cups!  By the time I made this realization, my full pan of the good stuff was already baking.  I promised myself I would tackle this method when it was time to make the next batch.

By the way, have you ever gotten oatmeal from Starbucks?  Have you noticed that their packaging says "Perfect Oatmeal"?  Well, in my opinion, Starbucks oatmeal is mediocre at best.  This recipe is the real "Perfect Oatmeal".  Just sayin'.



Ingredients:

1/4 Cup Canola oil                                                     6 Cups Old Fashioned (rolled) Oats (not instant)
1/2 Cup Unsweetened Applesauce                            4 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1 Cup Non-fat Egg Substitute                                    1 Teaspoon Salt
2 Cups Fat-free Milk
1 Cup Packed Brown Sugar (can use less)                 Optional: Craisins, Dried Cherries, Raisins
                                                                                         Chopped Almonds/Walnuts, Flax Meal

Preheat the oven to 350.  Coat your muffin tin with spray oil - make sure the bottom and edges are coated!

In a large bowl, combine all incredients.


Spoon in to muffin tin.  For easiest removal, do not fill completely to the top with the mixture. 

The second to last row in the back are too full!  Those were muffin-toppin' all over the place!
The regular pan recipe calls for 30-35 minutes of baking.  I baked this in the muffin tins for 20-22 minutes.  The best way to determine if they are done is to insert a toothpick in the middle of one, and if it comes out clean (no batter/wet ingredients), then it's done.




Remove from the oven, and let them cool completely. Insert a knife along the edge of the tin and gently loosen the baked oatmeal cups.


Once out of the muffin tin, wrap individual Baked Oatmeal Cups in tinfoil and freeze.  To eat, either defrost and heat with milk, or defrost and eat it like a muffin!

Enjoy!

Photobucket
Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Leah, What a great idea!! I'm baking the oatmeal like this from now on... a lot easier. MOM

    ReplyDelete