So I wanted to make them something extra special superhero-y for Christmas. Yes, what I am posting about today, in March, was intended to be a Christmas gift. Better late than...whatever, I'll start earlier for Christmas 2012.
I saw this adorable superhero cape tutorial on Pinterest that originated from Puking Pastilles:
I was sold. I began assembling my supplies back in early December. T-shirts in each nephew's favorite color, and a coordinating fabric for the logo, a print out of the letter in the Superman logo font, some stablizer, and determination. I knew I was in for a lot of satin/applique stitching.
Since I had increased the size of the logo letters to about 700%, it had become all pixelated so I had to trace over it to get a clean cut guide line. I cut out my patterns in the fabric and the stablizer all pinned together.
I pinned each logo to their respective shirts, and did a wide zig-zag stitch just to tack them together, and so I could get rid of the pins.
SuperD was my first attempt, and it was a valiant attempt, but it didn't cut the mustard. I had to go over it a second time to fill in the many gaps. Luckily I'm a quick learner, and SuperC and SuperJ went much smoother.
I was thrilled with how they turned out. I sent them off in the mail to get the SuperNephews the proper gear for saving the world from the bad guys. I was even more thrilled to get the picture of SuperJ, SuperC and SuperD all beaming in their new crime fighting gear!
All in all, once I got the hang of the satin stitching, it was a really fun project to complete. As much as I'd like to make a SuperC onesie for my little man, or even a size 2T shirt, it would be too small to maneuver around my sewing machine while trying to apply a neat satin stitch. He's stuck with the screen printed Old Navy superhero onesies for the time being.